HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
James Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 16:54:08 GMT
I am the original poster. My thinking is along the lines of
yours. Mcropolis servers are what we have been buying for
GIS applications (huge bitmapped files, big data tables
[400,000 rows])and others and have no problems. Still, it is
not worth our while to be penny pinchers and have problems
when we are guests on someone else's machine (and we are not
paying them rent!), so we will probably specify HP and hold
our nose at the invoice!
Thanks, to both of you, for your help.
This may not show up in the newsgroup, my mailer seems to
have problems sending to them.

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:50:58 -0700  Bruce Toback wrote:

> From: Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:50:58 -0700
> Subject: Re: 3000m70 to 9271x Data Migration< how can I do
this?

> Jason writes:
> >MPE, unlike unix and DOS/Windows, transfers HUGE
> >amounts of disc space around.  Single transfers of 168K
or so are not uncommon
>                                                     ^^^^
>
> That's a suspiciously round number... I saw a 169K
transfer once :-).
> Seriously, where does the number come from?
>
> >in MPE-land.  Few discs (except those with the HP seal of
approval) will work
> >reliably under this kind of stress.
>
> A quibble: Many discs without the HP seal of approval are
used in AV work,
> where transfers of tens of megabytes are not uncommon. The
current crop of
> discs reconfigure their buffering and calibration
dynamically depending on
> the pattern of transfers, so this applies to
general-purpose as well as