HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 10:34:29 -0700
>> Then a "CCXL MPEFILE" failed
>>with an undocumented compiler error saying it cannot open the source file
>>(error 2266?  don't have convenient access now).  The file "looked normal"
>>to me, but it wouldn't work ...The "solution" was to text the
>>file with editor and keep it again.  It blew my mind! ...
>
>I came across something maybe related:  When we were running an outdated
>>version of the
>c compiler that came with 4.0 on 5.0, that version could not open any posix
>source file because of the huge LIMIT (I don't know why - Steve Elmer found
>the pattern).  When I reduced the limit of the file and made it equal to EOF
>(probably in your case with editor?) it would compile!

The C compiler used to open its source file short-mapped. Actually, it's
the C library that used to do this. If the maximum file size
(limit*recsize) is >4MB, the open will fail. The huge limit in this case
made the difference.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay