HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
John Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 03:13:23 LOCAL
Greetings!

I just thought I'd take a minute and let Denys know that my assistant and I
spent most of Friday upgrading from MPE 4.0 to 5.0 and installing Express 3
plus the link edit patch for Express 3.  Whew!  <GG>

The only glitch was the need for SCSI DDS firmware 10.7 on our C1503B DDS to
install the express release.  I had verified verion 8.x for the upgrade to 5.0
but missed the Express upgrade requirement for 10.7.  Fortunately, Peggy at
the Response Center knew about this situation and also knew the firmware was
included on the factory SLT.  So that turned out to be a non-issue.

We started a full backup about 9:45pm Friday night and DISCFREE showed 64% of
3.3GB of disc in use.  I wondered if that would all fit on a 2GB (90 meter
tape)... it didn't.  Since we generally run backups unattended, looks like I
need to invest in either a backup product with software compression or a new
DDS drive with hardware compression.  My instinct is to go with the new
DDS drive.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The only other surprise in the upgrade is the apparent need to rebuild the
Associate Table.  The accountants were in the office Saturday morning to do
payroll and reported an error message apparently created by the associate
command in their logon UDC.  I'll worry about that Monday morning.

John

John Pearce
Bethesda Management Co.
Colorado Springs, CO