HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 12:06:44 -0700
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (MannyR)
wrote:

>We have a laser jet 4mplus with jet port connected to a network.
>I am having problems sometimes with printing.  I get an M10 error
>and when I press shift and continue in the printer, the printer prints
>on the paper "ERROR: syntaxerror"
>              "OFFENDING COMMAND: --nostringval--
>
>                STACK:
>                /makehatch
>
>What do these messages mean?  When I get this, I go to the print manager
>and delete the document and try to print again.  Sometimes, the computer
>will exit out of windows and go to DOS.  BTW I have windows 3.11 running.
>
>Any explanation will be appreciated.

More details, please!

a) WHICH network?  Which protocol?  Which printer command language (PCL?,
Postscript?,... By looking at the syntaxerror message, Wirt Atmar can
easily tell the language -- I can't.  [log in to unmask] knows all of these
languages intimately and has a 4mPlus with all the goodies, so he can be
an excellent source of help.  His QueryCalc program, which we use
extensively at Adager to print and fax most of our customer
communications, uses advanced PostScript features that he invokes directly
from the HP3000).

b) A 4mPlus supports the Mac's AppleTalk protocol (through either
LocalTalk, with inexpensive/slow PhoneNet cabling or standard/fast
EtherNet cabling).  Just out of curiosity, why are you using a 4mPlus with
windows, which is prone to exit back to dos at the most inconvenient
moments?  Granted, the 4mPlus supports all kinds of protocols and cabling
schemes, so this is just a -- perhaps loaded -- question from a Mac lover.
For windows/dos, a 4plus (without the "m") is enough.

Greetings,

+---------------+
|               |   Alfredo
|          e    |   F. Alfredo Rego         [log in to unmask]
|        g      |   R&D Manager             Tel (208) 726-9100
|      a        |   Adager Corporation      Fax (208) 726-2822
|    d          |   Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000   ---   U.S.A.