HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 13:36:01 GMT
Jim Dolson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: We have a 947 LX hp 3000.  I have it configured with DTC's and a local
: PCLAN as well.  ALL works fine to make NS/VT connections to the HP via
: the network port.   Although the system has the TELNET command on it,
: I cant seem to access anything out of the system using telnet.  It
: just tels me that it cant find service when I type in an address

: any help would be appreciated.

: jim

Jim,

 First I have to make the pitch for my colleagues in the Response Center.
 They are a knowledgable bunch and can likely be of great help to you
 if you have to troubleshoot this further. Also, if it's not a simple
 fix, or turns out to be a bug, I'll refer you to the support
 organization.

 With that said, and qualifying that I'm taking a lot for granted, I
 think you've got a simple one to fix.
 Assuming a whole lot of stuff here, such as your system is MPE iX 5.0,
 I'm seizing on your choice of words regarding the error. In otherwords

 if you're getting a message like can't find service when you run the
 TELNET client, (like telnet/tcp Unkown Service perhaps?), then you
 probably need to look at your Services.Net.Sys file and be sure there's
 a line that reads:

 telnet   23/tcp

 in the file. (Note: a # in front of the word telnet means it's commented
 out and not available. so delete the #.)

 Further note.... the line in SERVICES.NET.SYS is case sensitive for
 TELNET. Be sure it's all lower case.

 You might also want to have a look at the file TELNTDOC.ARPA.SYS. It's
 a real quickie readme type file to get you over the typical installation
 hurdles and tells you what limitations we know of. It's not a substitute
 for the manual, but may offer you some additional hints.

 Hope this helps.
 cas Caswell

[log in to unmask] (Cas Caswell)   By the way: I said it, not my company.

WARNING: This is a Smiley-Free Zone.   Documents sent from this site may
contain unsolicited irony, sarcasm or wit.   Politically correct persons
and the irony-impaired proceed at their own risk.  You Have Been Warned.