HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 15:47:18 -0800
Mario asks:

> If anlyone also knows a way how to give the HP3000 a reboot over the
> network when I have a VT connection it would save me a lot of time! Of
> course, the network software starts up automatically.

The following will work ... but you will need to have AUTOBOOT enabled
and an AUTOBOOT.MPEXL.SYS (or similar) file setup with a "start ...."
command of some kind for the reboot to get all the way up.

   1) Logon as MANAGER.SYS
   2) :DEBUG
   3) mr pc, _reboot_cpu
   4) c

Obviously, be *sure* you want to do this!   Once you press <return>
on the last step, you can't go back!

Now...the cons:

   The above seems to do something similar to a ^B / TC ... not an RS.
   In other words: it isn't as good as doing a real, full, complete
   restart.  HP & Allegro recommend against restarting your machine with TC,
   as it does not reinitialize your memory fully, and on a very small
   number of machines it can lead to undetected memory parity errors.

   If you don't have AUTOBOOT enabled and setup, you'll find that the
   computer is sitting at the ISL prompt, waiting for you to enter a
   START command.

The autoboot file is mentioned in the Performing System tasks (?) manual
(I just looked at it, and still can't remember the exact name) ... but
in an incredibly short, cryptic manner.  (Look in the index under autoboot.)

In closing: not recommended, but possible.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html