HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 5

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 01:26:13 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> 1. can I run a standard mpe nm program that I built using standard mpe
> compilers (cobol,pascal,etc) when I am under the posix shell? IOW, can I use

NMPRG files seem to execute fine from the shell, whether they were compiled
w/posix or not. PROG files don't.

> the standard mpe cobol to create cgi programs that are called by the ncsa
> http server which I assume is running under posix.

Nope. CGI uses stdin/stdout files to pass i/o between httpd and the user
program - to handle the i/o you'll need to use 'c' (COBOL's $stdin does NOT
equate to posix's idea of stdin). You can run regular MPE-type programs to
do other work; you'll just need a 'c' program to reroute the i/o (we've done
this ourselves).

> 2. is 'c' the only language that 'plays' in the posix world?

see above. You could probably try Microfocus cobol,but your chances of
taking ANYTHING developed for MPE and trying to get it to compile under
Microfocus aren't good. If you're developing new code, use 'c'. If you
have legacy apps in other languages you can still get to them if you
need to. [and with some clever programming you can talk to most posix
files/apps from an MPE application though reading binary byte stream files
can be a challenge]

                                      -Chris Bartram

  Chris Bartram        Sales (US):   800 Net-Mail    Fax:+1 703 451-3720
   ______              -or-       +1 703 569-9189 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
  /__ |  \__________   Sales (Europe):+44(0480)414131 Fax:+44(0480)414134
 /  / | / ________     Sales (Pacific Rim):+61 3 489 8216 (same for fax)
|  /_ |<  ______       Tech Support:+1 703 569-9189  Fax:+1 703 451-3720
 \ __)| \ ___          E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Personal(me): [log in to unmask]
  \______/ Associates  6901 Old Keene Mill Rd Suite 205 Springfield VA 22150
Gopher: gopher.3k.com   Anon-FTP: ftp.3k.com  WWW: http://www.3k.com/