HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 23:02:06 EST
On Thu, 30 Nov 1995 15:47:18 -0800 Stan Sieler said:
>Mario asks:
>> If anlyone also knows a way how to give the HP3000 a reboot over the
>> network when I have a VT connection it would save me a lot of time! Of
>> course, the network software starts up automatically.
>
>The following will work ... but you will need to have AUTOBOOT enabled
>and an AUTOBOOT.MPEXL.SYS (or similar) file setup with a "start ...."
>command of some kind for the reboot to get all the way up.
>   1) Logon as MANAGER.SYS
>   2) :DEBUG
>   3) mr pc, _reboot_cpu
>   4) c

Gee, Stan, I suspect your testosterone levels are highly elevated! :-)

I would relegate this to the little notebook in the "break glass in the
event of hell freezing over" category; interesting to know, but don't
think I'd try it.  Perhaps I'm just too paranoid, but personally I'm one
of those types that will wait 10-15 minutes on that "(Shut 6)" message
before impatiently going the TC and/or RS route.  I've never know exactly
what goes on between Shut 4 and Shut 6, I just know the restart time is
significantly higher if you don't reach Shut 6 (apparently it ensures that
all pages are posted to disc and XM checkpointing is cleanly finished, as
if you don't reach Shut 6 you can spend a long time in XM recovery).
Perhaps Stan can elaborate on the relative risk of an arbitrary reboot.

I agree on the RS being preferable to TC; unless I'm in one of those "users
breathing down my neck" situations mentioned in the dump thread earlier,
I will opt for RS.  If you do DUMP, with recent releases of MPE (or perhaps
my CIO firmware upgrade) I *always* get a HPMC error after a dump and have
to RS anyway.

>In closing: not recommended, but possible.

So is Pipin's breath-holding freedive record breaking 400+ feet episodes,
but don't think I'm gonna run out and try it :-)  It is interesting to
know it's possible though, thanks Stan.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>