HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 3

From:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 08:04:58 +1100
At 05:55 AM 17/11/95 -0800, Jerry Fochtman wrote:
>There isn't any means to 'rename' existing groups within an account.  About
>a week or so ago there was a thread discussing this topic along with a
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^
>faily detailed explanation as to why this is not possible with the
>current implementation of account structures under MPE.

Am I missing mail again?? %)

I recall a discussion about the whys and the wherefores on renaming (or not)
of files across volume sets, and about renaming difficulties when ACDs are
involved, but nothing I've found explains why we can't have a RENAME GROUP
command.  Am I looking in the wrong month again?

Anyway, :RENAME GROUP sounds like a fine idea to me.  Sure I could create a
new group in the same volume set, give it the same access and capabilities
features, copy all the files then purge the original, but I can see of huge
potential for 'holes' or errors to creep in.  The issue seems to be the same
as that for Critical Item Update on TurboIMAGE...the whole process is
simpler, more efficient and less prone to error if it is done a step higher
in the operating system rather than as a series of user initiated
procedures. Maybe not as easy as renaming a filename in an inode, but not
that far removed.

I acknowledge though that the importance of RENAME GROUP is significantly
less than CI UPDATE: I may need RENAME GROUP only once or twice a year.  But
if some MPE Lab person happens to be poking around in that part of the code,
well....

----
Jim "seMPEr" Wowchuk
Vanguard Computer Services     Internet:    [log in to unmask]
 _--_|\                        Compu$erve:  100036,106
/      \                       Post:        PO Box 18, North Ryde, NSW 2113
\.--.__/ <---Sydney NSW        Phone:       +61 (2) 888-9688
      v      Australia         Fax:         +61 (2) 888-3056