HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 3

From:
David Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:24:00 PST
Rob asks:

> What do you mean by not having a Pascal/iX outer block?  Does this mean
> that if you are using p_getheap and p_rtnheap from another language (ie.
> SPLash!) that the two undocumented routines are necessary?
>
> We have been doing exactly this for many years.  Are you saying that we
> have never been reusing our returned heap space?

In what programming language is the "main" module written in?  This is
usually the module that has no "subprogram" designation (I forget how
the outer-block is defined in Pascal/iX).  Even if your outer-block is
written in Pascal/iX, you *may* have to use the compiler-options for
heap compation in order to actually get any reuse of the heap.  There
is an undocumented routine that you can call that prints the status of
the native-mode heap.  It's SPLash! external declaration is:

   procedure p'dump'heap;
      option native, nocc, uppercase, external;