HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 2

From:
Frank McConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank McConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 19:17:21 GMT
ObHP3000: Did anyone else catch _The Analytical Engine_ Volume 3.1,
featuring Chris Edler's paper on the early history of the HP 3000?

http://www.chac.org/chac/ for the home page of the Computer History
Association of California (some formatting problems with Lynx), or go
right to the ASCII version at
ftp://ftp.batnet.com/people/chac/ftp/pub/engine31.txt (208KB).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled off-topic discussion.

Denys Beauchemin  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>[log in to unmask] (Gilles Schipper) writes:
>>Can anybody recommend a PCMCIA modem (preferably with XJACK) which works
>>well with the HP200LX?
>
>The only other modem with EZJACK that I know of is the Hayes Optima288.

The other day, Isaac Blake was asking about this particular
combination over on comp.sys.palmtops.

As it happens, the 100LX/200LX PCMCIA port does not provide a lot of
power for PCMCIA devices, so you have to be careful what you plug in.
Looking it up in the 100LX/200LX developer's guide reveals that the
maximum power available on the PCMCIA slot is 150 mA at 5V on Vcc (I
think this is the important limit for modem cards) and 60 mA at 12V on
Vpp (programming voltage -- for flash EEPROM?).  I think this is a
bit below what the Hayes modem wants when operating.

I am somewhat surprised that the Megahertz modem did not work, as I
think I have read reports (in comp.sys.palmtops and the Compu$erve
HPHAND forum) of success.

But back to the original question: PCMCIA modems, for the palmtop?  No
way -- I need that slot for file space! -- so I use a pocket modem.
And on my notebook, where I do use a PCMCIA V.34 modem (a TDK -- good
modem, but also exceeds the 100LX/200LX power limits), I do not use an
XJACK modem as the XJACK connector would interfere with the adjacent
PCMCIA slot.

-Frank McConnell