HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 2

From:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 02:36:47 GMT
[log in to unmask] wrote:
: Linux Man wrote:
: >   I called up HP Direct today planning on ordering (or getting price info
: > at least) on NetIPC for my S/42.  I was under the impression that NetIPC
: > was a standalone set of library functions, including possibly NMMGR.  The
: > sales rep was unable to find NetIPC in the computer, but saw reference to
: > Solve and Design (I think that's the company) and gave me a phone #.

Scott's right.  What you need is the ThinLAN product.  It brings the
neccessary hardware(LANIC card) and the TCP/IP stack up to sockets
interface layer (NetIPC).  There is no separate NetIPC product, it is
a part of *any* NS link you buy.  Note that NS services is a separate
product and you don't need to buy that since sockets is all you want.

I'm not sure if there's a delete hardware option for the product... there
used to be delete software option for those who only needed additional
links but already had all the software in place.

As Scott also points out, on MPE/iX systems it's all part of FOS since
5.0 release.

Hope this helps,
Eero Laurila - HP CSY Networking lab, NS services.