HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 2

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 06:56:42 -0700
Stan writes:
>I've noticed that some block-mode transfers (QEDIT screen mode) sometimes
>hang for about 20 to 40 seconds while I am connected to my 3000 over an
>ISDN line.  I'm running WRQ R1/Win 5.0, on Windows for Workgroups 3.1,
>using a WINSOCK.DLL that came from my Internet Service Provider (ISP),
>internex.

>The "hang" eventually clears, as if nothing wrong had happened ...no loss
>of data, no I/O error.

Sounds like a handshaking problem; the BitSurfr isn't able to shut off the
flow of data from the PC and drops characters into the bit bucket. The
normal TCP retry gets things going again; TCP retries aren't considered I/O
errors. And since switching to a different R1 session also switches you to
a different TCP stream, the second session isn't affected.

Make sure that the BitSurfr is set up for hardware handshaking, and that
the cable and TCP/PPP stack support it.

>The ISDN line is new, and I'm using a Motorola BitSurfr.

The BitSurfr, at least the one I have, is decidedly not commercial quality.
It loses its network settings about once a month, on average; sometimes it
just hangs and has to be unplugged for a few seconds. I've also noticed
that it gags when dialing at 115.2kbps -- if you feed it characters at full
speed, it gets lost. I had to configure our router to insert pauses in the
dial string in order to get the BitSurfr to dial reliably. It seems happy
enough at 115.2kbps once the link is up; it also dials reliably when set
for synchronous operation and V.25 dialing.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay