HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 2

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 06:37:46 -0700
>Anyone else out there tried an NS/VT connection with a considerable network
>lag time?  I tried NS/VT over a SLIP connection and it is AWFUL!  You can
>see delays between network packets (write 5 lines, wait 15 seconds, etc)
>and sometimes it hangs altogether.

I use this arrangement routinely without problems, both on Macs and PCs.
I've used NS/VT over SLIP and PPP at speeeds as low as 9600 baud. For the
dial-in point, I've used a Livingston Portmaster 2e/30 and a 33MHz 386
running NetManage's awful stack; I use the latter as my normal route into
my system from home. NS/VT from the PC over SLIP/PPP is via the NetMangle
stack as well. I've also used Reflection under Windows NT with SLIP and PPP
links through WinNT's Remote Access Service. You might check to make sure
that your modem is set to be completely transparent, and that you're not
getting problems with line noise.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay