HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 2

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 09:58:42 -0700
Gavin Scott writes about Windows 95:
>So what?
>It's not going to change the fundamental balance of the universe or anything.

While I agree with the rest of Gavin's post, in this one instance, he has
overlooked something. Win95 is often sold with Microsoft Plus!. As Gavin
himself pointed out in an earlier post, an excess of exclamation points
_does_ change the fundamental balance of the universe. Extrapolating from
his earlier equations (delta-T = -3.4 min/!), and using an average of the
pundits' sales projections for Win95, the universe will undergo its final
collapse 323 years earlier than would otherwise have been the case.

Although Gavin's paper on entropy and exclamation points has not been peer
reviewed, his earlier work has been subjected to careful scrutiny and has
not been found wanting. (The fact that Gavin is responding to a 6-week-old
post may be taken as an indication that the time warp is already starting.)
Once the bang paper has been vetted, I am certain that not only the Justice
Department but the EPA as well will have a case against Microsoft.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay