HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 2

From:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 09:10:59 -0500
On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Jeff Kell wrote:

> maintenance contract.  This practice continues to this day, though to HP's
> credit, now the LANIC drivers and basic services are bundled.

  And that's what bugs me.  What I found to be REALLY interesting is that
I could purchase a used/refurb Series 925 or 935, I believe including
MPE/iX 5.0, for FAR less than the ThinLAN product new would cost me.  I
have the card, but when the software costs a lot more than a much newer,
faster CPU, I'll take the CPU any day.  Heck, give me  a 920 over
my 42; just as long as I can run MPE/iX, I don't care about the speed!

> sort of LANIC services.  I know this quite well as we had an old 3000/42
> without the V/E firmware, and it croaked trying to bring up the LANIC.

  I have the firmware and LANIC card.  The LANIC card came from a S/70
though, so I still must plug it in and see if it works (I lost a LANIC
for a S/42, but these look identical, so I hope they really ARE identical
and will thusly work).  Even though I have the new CPS, I run G.A3.07,
dating from 1984 I believe.  HP was supposed to call me back on getting
an upgrade, but hasn't yet.

> details of that one) but essentially the LANIC goes in a HIGH priority
> slot, or else it won't work (been there, done that, have the T-shirt).

  Yep, put it in CPU slot.  Thank goodness for color coded slots. :)

> Even if you get the hardware right, there's still the software issue,
> as you may have to buy it too for the drivers.

  I can't do anything without NetIPC and NMMGR.  Worst case would be I
need to use a Livingston PortMaster terminal server attached to all my
ADCC ports, and have a transparent 'passthrough' somewhat like DialNet.
That may actually work better; I think 30 ports are enough for my needs.  It
would also cut down on the cost of a AUI adapter, but I'd need to spend money
on RJ45 to RS232 adapters (from the PortMaster to each individual ADCC
port), no biggie though.

> or other activity for nearly a decade.  (Yes, we still have some live
> programs written in the original BASIC).

  BASIC/V, although older 'en the hills, is a nice package.  I have found
it to be quite powerful if one can live with the weak dimensioning.

> Speaking of TurboImage/SQL, this set a precedent.  I'm well aware of
> the process of user surveys and so forth that culminated in the new
> functionality not being a "charged" update.  I even voted for it at

  This is perhaps the only reason MPE hasn't taken off as well as UNIX.
The lack of competition in major software areas has left prices high and
totally unaffordable for most.  MPE isn't worth the price for many shops
considering all the extra costs.  People can go with UNIX and possibly
lose the "take a licking and keep on ticking" of MPE and HP3000, but it's
a WHOLE lot cheaper mainly because there are so many UNIX varieties and
manufacturers of UNIX-run systems (POSIX plays big role here) to keep
prices down and competitive.

Daniel Kosack  -- Linux Man --

// HP 3000 and MPE systems administration //
//        Internetwork Operator           //
//       Walkersville High School         //