HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 1

From:
Alida Jatich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alida Jatich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 23:55:24 GMT
We're running MPE/iX 5.0 on a 935, and ever since we put up the 5.0 push
release, our online response and batch throughput has been noticeably
slower. While everything seems to be slowed down somewhat, we've noticed
that the Allbase preprocessor, and Allbase processing in general, seems
to be affected particularly badly.

We called HP to complain about this. They said that performance was going
to be slower under 5.0 because of all the new features, and they tried to
get us to upgrade to a faster CPU. We don't have the budget to do this
right away, and in any case we are not satisfied with this answer.

We have a 2567B printer and three 2564B printers on the system spooler.
I have noticed that display of data to my PC (under Reflection 1)
sometimes slows down when the spooler is printing. For instance,
if I list a file, I get several lines quickly, a pause, then another
few lines, etc. It didn't do that under 4.0.

As if all that were not enough, we rebooted the system last weekend, and
performance has been noticeably worse since then. Setting the clock should
not have affected anything else. I'm wondering if some obscure system
parameter could have gotten clobbered accidentally.

I'm an applications developer, not a performance and tuning expert, so I
don't know where to begin looking to make a diagnosis, let alone find the
solutions. If anyone in this newsgroup can give us any pointers about how
to wring more performance out of a 935 under MPE/iX 5.0, I'd very much
appreciate it.

--
Alida Jatich, Sr. Pgmr./Analyst
Heinemann's Bakeries