HP3000-L Archives

November 1995, Week 1

From:
Steve Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 10:02:07 -0500
In a message dated 95-11-01 04:04:32 EST, [log in to unmask] (Alida Jatich)
writes:

>We're running MPE/iX 5.0 on a 935, and ever since we put up the 5.0 push
>release, our online response and batch throughput has been noticeably
>slower. While everything seems to be slowed down somewhat, we've noticed
>that the Allbase preprocessor, and Allbase processing in general, seems
>to be affected particularly badly.
>
>We called HP to complain about this. They said that performance was going
>to be slower under 5.0 because of all the new features, and they tried to
>get us to upgrade to a faster CPU. We don't have the budget to do this
>right away, and in any case we are not satisfied with this answer.

There are a number of reasons that 5.0 either runs slower or appears to run
slower than 4.0.  The problem is much more noticable on the mid-size
systems down than on the larger higher-end systems.

(1). 5.0 is a larger operating system than 4.0 and has higher resource
requirements.  This is due to the POSIX support and the changes
required to support the POSIX file naming and other changes. With
5.0 several of the previous features that were still in CM were migrated
to NM (i.e. message files).  The net result of these changes is that 5.0
needs more memory.  Minimum memory for a system running 1 to 5 users
is 64MB.  Anything placing additional load on memory such as data base
access increases demand and requires more memory.

If you can't upgrade the system I would recommend adding more memory.
Memory for the 935 can be purchased from the used market at resonable
prices.  You might consider a leasing to spread the cost.

(2).  The system scheduler / dispatcher was re-written to accomodate
the Workload Manager Product.  The net result of this change is that
the system does not respond in the same maner as it did on 4.0.
Interrupts do not happen as quickly as in the past and the slower
the processor the more noticable the difference.

The net result is that HP is right but you may be able to survive
with additional memory.

Steve Cole
Outer Banks Solutions, Inc.