HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 5

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 10:52:05 -0500
mpe/ix RELEASE: C.50.00 possible security problem:

This whole thing got started when a customer running a 995/200 upgraded
from the X to C versions of 5.0. He called me at home on a weekend to
confirm what the response center had told him. He had completed his upgrade
which took just over 12 hours, to find that makecat would not replace the
catalog. The response center told him to go the sysgen/update route. I
tried this on my 5.0 system and it seemed to be true. By the way it takes
about 90 minutes to cut an SLT and update a 995/200!

However, if you do a LISTF CATALOG.PUB.SYS,3 you can see the number of
accessors. If the count is one then you can run makecat with no problems.
(Pin #1 always has the catalog opened) Makecat and pin #1 seem to cooperate
in building a new catalog.

If the count is greater than one then you have two choices. First you can
use glance and the U command to find the accessors and kill them. (Note
that glance does not show pin #1 accessing the file) Or, you can go the
sysgen/update route.

Sorry about any confusion, just trying to save someone some grief.

mike