HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Winston Kriger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Winston Kriger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 17:47:53 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Rick
Feldmann <[log in to unmask]> says:

>Listners,
>
>We are looking at installing a 14.4 modem on our HP3000.  What modems
>have any of you had success with?  (working with Predictive Support is
>optional)
>
>TIA
>
>Rick Feldmann
>Computer Systems Manager
>American Type Culture Collection

I have had 2 USR Sporster 14.4KBPS modems connected to my '917/DTC16/iX for
3 years without any failures or problems whatsoever. The power line voltage
here typically runs about 122 volts with lots of lightning induced surges;
and the ambient temperature during the summer is about 85 Deg. Fahrenheit.
Other modems that I have used during the same period (PC based) HAVE failed
in the same environment. These include a Supra V32-Bis, Okidata, and Practical
Peripherals units.  All were seemingly heat related and generally involved
power-supply failures. I don't yet have an external USR 28.8KBPS unit so a
"No Comment" is appropriate.  Strangely enough, the '917 has failed twice
in this time frame--first the 2-GIG internal disc, and then the power supply.

Winston