HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 10:18:36 -0500
According to Jeff Kell:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 1995 03:12:04 -0400 Denys Beauchemin said:
[snip]
> >configured themselves automatically.  In time, new hardware from various
> >vendors will all play PnP.  But you knew that.
>
> Maybe we just lucked out, but after a couple of dozen Win95 installs here on
> a wide variety of hardware we didn't have any driver glitches.  Networking,
> on the other hand, was a mess.  Our "lesson by fire" has been to remove all
> networking references from your config.sys/autoexec.bat/etc before trying to
> update, then do a custom install, let Win95 supply all the drivers, and you
> only have to insure that IPX and TCP protocols are bound to the card.  The
> rest is automagic.

This depends on if you are using the Netware client from Novell and want/need
to continue to do so (for Netware 4.x NDS support, for example). In this
case you may want to leave the Netware client files and the "startnet.bat"
reference in Autoexec.bat.

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]