HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 10:15:53 -0500
According to Steve Dirickson b894 westwins:

> << Our "lesson by fire" has been to remove all networking references from
> your config.sys/autoexec.bat/etc before trying to update, then do a
> custom install, let Win95 supply all the drivers, and you only have to
> insure that IPX and TCP protocols are bound to the card.  The rest is
> automagic.>>
>
> This is a really good point. As a first cut at installing W95, rename
[snip]

I agree.

I would even recommend moving all network files onto some backup media and
deleting them from the PC hard disk, unless you are actually using them.
When I first installed Win95, it not only found the Netware client I was
using, but old Microsoft Lanmanager and HP's old Arpa/NS network software I
had left on the hard disk.  Then is compiled all of this into it's own
networking and moved support drivers from all of those into the \windows
directories.  This may not cause problems, but it seems to be potential for
trouble.

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]