HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 08:43:56 -5
To all Interex members...

PLEASE NOTE: THE FOLLOWING ARE MY _PERSONAL_ OPINIONS.
THIS IS _NOT_ TO BE VIEWED AS A STATEMENT FROM THE
INTEREX BOARD OF DIRECTORS OR ANYONE ELSE.  Sorry about the
yelling, but I wanted to make very sure that it was heard. :-)

I am hesitant to put this message out, for fear that some may
consider it inappropriate.  However, as an Interex member and a
current Board member, I feel that participating in the process of
selecting those individuals who will serve on the Interex Board of
Directors is important for the Interex membership.  I know you've
heard it before, but: _Your vote does make a difference_!!!

The deadline for receipt of your ballots by the independent
accounting firm is fast approaching: October 31, 1995.  Note that it
has to be _received_, not simply postmarked by the 31st.  So, if you
still have your ballot sitting on your desk, read the rest of this
post, mark your ballot, and get it in the mail!!!!!!!!! (How much of
my quota did I use up there? ;-) )

If you have already mailed in your ballot, I heartily commend you!
Thank you for participating.  If you have not yet voted, you may
find the remainder of this post to be of help as you decide which two
individuals should be elected to serve on the Interex Board.

If you are a member, you have the _right_ to select those
individuals you feel are best qualified to represent your views.
You also have the _responsibility_ to select those best suited to
fulfill the stated objectives of Interex and sustain and grow the
Interex organization as a whole.

The two individuals _leaving_ the Board this year posses a wealth of
business, financial, and managerial experience.  They also serve as
"balancing agents," keeping the Board from going too far or too
quick in any direction.  The Board will sorely miss their experience
and guidance - unless the incoming Board members posses similar
qualities.  IMHO, the ideal members to elect to the Board will be
the people who posses the following qualities (in roughly ranked
order):

- Has a strong business background - financial and managerial
- Committed to the membership and mission of Interex
- Possesses values and vision
- Can think in terms of systems and context, rather than details and
   the minute
- Has demonstrated abilities in verbal and written communication
- Exhibits ability and eagerness
- Willing to participate and yet ready to delegate to others the
   responsibility of making decisions
- Can participate effectively during deliberation

I sincerely apologize to anyone I have offended by rambling on for
so long.  Yet if I have, in some way, encouraged at least one more
member to vote, I will have considered the post worthwhile.  (Boy,
I'm starting to sound like a preacher!)

Thanks for the bandwidth.  If you have comments for me (good or bad
- I do want to hear _all_ of them!!!), send them directly to me so
we don't add any more noise to the list.  And one more time . . .
THESE HAVE BEEN MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS!

-dll

David L. Largent                     "My thoughts are my own,
Information Services Manager          unless I choose to share them!"
The Gilbert Companies, Inc.          Phone: 317/284-4461
P.O. Box 1032                        Facs:  317/288-2079
Muncie, Indiana  47308-1032          Email: [log in to unmask]