HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:07:30 GMT
Jim Knight ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Mark Landin wrote:
: >
: > Is there an implementation of Domain Name Services (DNS) available
: > on 5.0? Right now we are just interested in allowing the machine to
: > be a client, since we already have a name server set up at our site.
: >
: As of 4.0 the Hp3000 could act as a DNS Client.  Becoming a DNS
: Server is still on the enhancement list.

To enable DNS client functionality on iX/4.0 or later, all you need is to
either build the file RESLVCNF.NET.SYS or copy the file /etc/resolv.conf
from any unix machine.  The file contents and syntax are the same.

There's also a sample file RSLVSAMP.NET.SYS on your system - copying it
to RESLVCNF.NET.SYS and updating it to reflect your nameservers address
and domain will make it a working setup.

Have fun!
:-) Eero Laurila - HP CSY Networking lab, NS services.