HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 19:56:20 +1000
At 11:40 PM 26/10/95 EDT, Jeff Kell wrote:
>Well, this is an interesting question.  I already had C/iX.  I then had to
>"upgrade" as many others did to the Posix Developer's Kit, which had a
>credit for an existing C/iX license equal to the Posix DK purchase price;
>in effect a zero-dollar purchase.  This added the Posix libraries.  But...
>
>* If you _ONLY_ bought the Posix developer's kit, what do you get?  Do you
>  get the C compiler and regular LIB.SYS and H.SYS libraries/includes?

You get the /lib/*.a libraries and some HFS cc shell scripts.  You don't get
H.SYS or LIB.SYS (well actually you do for the short time it takes to
transfer from tape then rename into the HFS space :).  You do *not* get a
compiler or any other programs that I can see.  I could do a dump of the
tape if you like.

>* The Posix developer's kit is apparently NOT a REPLACEMENT for C/iX since
>  our friends at HP insist that we CONTINUE TO PAY SUPPORT ON BOTH (as
>  Chris Bartram and others have posted previously).

What it looks like is you are paying 1 support charge for the compiler and
MPE space associated support files (which I suspect may not be updated?);
the other support charge is for the POSIX link libraries and include files.
This would be sort of like paying Microsoft for compiler with DOS libraries
and paying extra (support) for Windows libraries.  Ooops...I hope no
Microsoft marketing/accounting folks are listening, lest they 'discover'
this new method for charging!

Sheesh.
----
Jim "seMPEr" Wowchuk
Vanguard Computer Services     Internet:    [log in to unmask]
 _--_|\                        Compu$erve:  100036,106
/      \                       Post:        PO Box 18, North Ryde, NSW 2113
\.--.__/ <---Sydney NSW        Phone:       +61 (2) 888-9688
      v      Australia         Fax:         +61 (2) 888-3056