HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
James Herod <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Herod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 23:07:11 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Thomas Knoedler  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>We are trying to FTP a file from IBM to HP (MPE/iX 5.0).
>>The manual says it automatically converts from EBCDIC to ASCII.
>>Our program burps on COMP-3 fields.
>>Indications are that the conversion is not done.
>>
> [snip]

We have been transferring files back and forth between MVS/ESA and MPE/iX
4.0 for a couple of years now.  The most reliable and simplest method
is to define *all* numeric data as display; no COMP or COMP-3 in the
output.  If you only use USAGE DISPLAY, you will not have any problems.

Otherwise you must do the translation yourself, skipping binary and
COMP-3 fields, then do a binary FTP transfer so that the data doesn't
get trashed.

--Jim