HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 16:22:59 EDT
On Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:49:13 -0700 Duane Percox said:
>>Jeff expanded on various topics, and then said:
>>I know of three things that broke that worked fine before, and aren't
>>otherwise documented in the standard materials:
>>* COBOL files opened for I-O mode:  if you READ a record then WRITE it,
>>  it updates the record you read.  This doesn't fly on 5.0
>
>Just to keep the record straight - this is documented in the Communicator
>for 5.0 on page 10-56. And this is a big improvement since previous cobol
>run-time library changes have been released undocumented.

I stand corrected.  Thank you Duane, I should take my own advice about
reading the documentation (but 5.0 was my first CDROM one) and I did in
fact neglect to mention the communicator.

But to HP's credit, an offending program gives a COBERR xxxx (I forget the
number).  I logged onto SupportLine and searched on COBERR xxxx and found
the SR detailing the problem.  SupportLine, particularly the web accessible
version at http://us.external.hp.com (maybe also support.mayfield.hp.com)
is getting MUCH more timely about uploading problem reports to the database.
It still isn't apparently the "real" internal database since I noticed
about a 2-4 week lag between my introduced SRs and when they appear (and
not all make the cut).  Maybe one day we'll get the real thing.

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>