HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

From:
Jim Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 00:18:51 -0400
Mark Landin wrote:

> Is there an implementation of Domain Name Services (DNS) available
> on 5.0? Right now we are just interested in allowing the machine to
> be a client, since we already have a name server set up at our site.

As of 4.0 the Hp3000 could act as a DNS Client.  Becoming a DNS
Server is still on the enhancement list.

> I can't find mention of this in the FTP User's Guide. Is this what
> PROBE is for?

Probe is a lookup mechanism, but not DNS itself.  The setup for DNS
wouldn't be in the FTP users guide, but I'm not at work where I can
lay my hands on it right now.  If you can't find it in one of the
configuration manuals, let me know, I'll try to look it up when
I get to the office tomorrow.

Jim Knight
Senior Systems Manager
The MEDSTAT GROUP