HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 16:17:55 -0700
At lunch today, I went to my local computer superstore to buy an Ethernet
cable. While there, I decided it was time to stop relying on luck and
original software diskettes to back up our PC, now running NT. So I looked
around for a backup device.

Not one of the tape backup kits on offer said anything about WinNT support.
Not HP, not Conner, not any of the off-brands. So I went over to where they
have the SCSI cards, figuring that I could use my SCSI DAT and not have to
keep another kind of tape around. They had half a dozen or so SCSI cards.
The only one which had an NT driver available was a $300 Adaptec VLB card,
and even for that card the driver had to be downloaded from the
manufacturer's BBS. Since I only paid $160 for the motherboard, I wasn't
about to buy a $300 SCSI card. I left the store empty-handed. (No doubt
I'll regret that after the power surge tonight, but for the moment I'm
feeling pleasantly outraged :-).

Incidentally, _all_ of the tape backup kits and all the SCSI cards had Unix
support. Of course what that means in the real world is anyone's guess, but
I still found it interesting.

Does anyone have an ISA or VLB SCSI card that they're using with NT? If so,
what kind is it? Also, is anyone using an HP tape backup device with NT,
and NTFS partitions?

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| This space for rent. Contact the
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| OPT media sales department for details.
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      |
Phoenix AZ 85028                   |