HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

From:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 14:46:42 GMT
Randy Smith ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

<snip much of Randy's post describing attempts to run TELNET/iX Client
from a job deleted for brevity>

:  We've tried running telnet
:  through
: a job stream, and it flat out told us that you can't run telnet in batch
mode.

: Is there something that I'm missing? (sample below)

 Nope. The client has code to only allow the program to run from a
 session. It's a known behavior, and is documented in the manual. We
 currently do not have a client that will run with I/O redirection or
 from a job.

 That's not to say that we don't recognize it as a problem for our users.
 It's just the TELNET team is fully occupied in getting the Server out the
 door. The issue is being tracked by SR 4701-305060 on behalf of 4
 customers (well 5 now, I took the liberty of adding you to the list
 Randy). Please don't flood the RCs with calls looking for status of this
 SR. It's currently tagged as an Enhancement Request (under
 consideration).

 To date, the majority of customer reports available to the Telnet Team
 indicate that it is preferable to get the Server out, then add the
 job capability to the Client.

 I hope this helps. I know you'd rather see a statement with a schedule
 for deployment of the new functionality, but that's not in the cards
 right now.

 Later,
 cas

[log in to unmask] (Cas Caswell)   By the way: I said it, not my company.