HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 2

From:
"Tony B. Shepherd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony B. Shepherd
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 12:44:38 -0500
At 15:43 1995/10/12, Denys Beauchemin wrote:
>Subject:      Atlanta consumer show

>Gentle Listers & assorted (sordid?) Yo-Yos,

>This past weekend, I was privileged to be part of a team of four people who
>managed the technical side of a new consumer computing show. This first show
>was in Boston at the Bayside exposition center.  We set up an Internet

Sorry I missed it.  It wasn't far from here, and didn't get much exposure
in my town (45 miles NW).  I am being forced to deal with W95 on my son's
new machine, but at the moment it functions as a table decoration.
Uninstall procedures for W95 don't, and wrong CD versions are frustrating.

My .02 for a potential buyer: 1) buy the machine of your choice; 2) without
doing any software installation (takes discipline), back it up; 3) make
_sure_ the fresh backup works; 4) make _sure_ the reload kit that came with
it works; 5) drive and enjoy :-)  If steps 2 -> 4 are less than smooth,
return the machine immediately and get another one.

Some machines come with multiple software configurations on the CD, and
access is via a production series number in ROM's or EEPROM somewhere.
Since this might represent software configuration bundling and not
hardware, these numbers can be quite dynamic (what's on sale this week?).
Those from punched card days will understand when I say the box packers got
their hands crossed.

A little more warning next time, and I might buy coffee.

--
Regards  --  Tony B. Shepherd  --  [log in to unmask]