HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 14:37:10 EDT
Regarding Jim Byrne's FTP/file encoding woes:

I'll answer this a little more completely when I get time (busy day) but
the problem with ASCII FTP transfers of byte stream files is a bug.  You
really didn't need to go to that much trouble.  You could have simply
used MOVER to attach the MPE/iX attributes, then compress (MOVER does some
compression but not like compress) then FTP the resulting file.Z in binary
mode.  No need to uuencode/uudecode unless you're trying to mail a binary.

More info on the FTP bug at http://opus.admin.utc.edu/downupld.html
(there's no index to it, you'll have to enter the full URL)

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>