HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 2

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:44:49 EDT
>>"Paul H. Christidis" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: 5.0 Performance

>>Hi!

>>We have an HP3000/967SX running MPE/iX 5.0:
>>RELEASE: C.50.02   MPE/iX HP31900 B.79.06   USER VERSION: C.50.02

>>We have two applications written in Powerhouse and Business Basic XL.
>>They came from a similar machine running MPE/iX 4.x where they shared
>>resources with a number of other applications.  We were anticipating
>>significant performance improvements with this migration which,
>>unfortunately, did *not* materialize.

>>Can anyone offer some insights/speculations as to what the problem may be?

>>* Is there some Performance penalty associated with 5.0?

How much memory does your iX machine have?  If you have less than 96 Mbytes
there is a patch available to reduce the performance impact of iX 5. on memory
constrained systems.  MPE/iX 5.0 has a tremendously increased appetite for
memory which definitely impacts overall system performance if it doesn't find at
least 96 Mb.

Jim