HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:58:17 GMT
joe smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>I have 19 dedicated printers on dtcs.  We have 4 hubs, and are using a
>>combination of 2934s and laserjets.  I have one 2934 that causes me problems.
>>It is configured like the others, but it appears that certain spoolfiles
cause
>>the spooling for that printer to stop.  This occurs after that certain file
has
>>printed, but the file doesn't disappear from the system.  It goes back to a
>>ready state.  When the spooler is restarted, the whole process happens again.

I have found that one problem could be the timeout set in the TT22
file.  It seems the TT22 file has a timeout associated with the
request for status from the printer.   If this timeout expires the
spooler will report problems and shut down.  It is simple to change
this value using TTUTIL.  As to why it is happening on a single
printer, it could be related to poor quality data lines.  If it is
more a problem of certain spoolfiles check if a special ;ENV parameter
was used.  This timeout is in all environment files based on termtypes
22 or 26.  BTW, I first saw this with Laserjets and the HP status card
and the problem happened at the end of spoolfiles the most.  This was
because the timeouts did not give the buffers enough chance to clear
out.

Hope this helps.
Mel Rees