HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

From:
John Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:37:27 -0400
Susan Lui wrote:

>Date:    Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:30:00 PDT
>From:    Susan Lui <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help to transfer file between WRQ and PC
>
> I have about 20 extract files created nightly that need to be transferred
> from HP (using WRQ) to PC. Currently, I am doing  it by hand. Is there a
>way
> I can write a job to run it while the extract files created? Those extract
> files are within the same group.
> Thanks.
>
>Susan

Others on the list have offered Reflection command scripts for FTP and
serial connection downloads.  This leaves the problem of scheduling the
nightly download jobs.  We use a 286-calibre doorstop running schedule
software (SYCLOCK) from an old DOS version of the SYTOS tape backup software
to automate this part.  You should be able to use any scheduler that can
execute a DOS batch file.  Schedule batch files to run Reflection and do
whatever else you need, such as sending confirmation messages to a printer
or appending a directory of the downloaded files to a text file so you have
a log. You can get as fancy as you want with this approach--e.g. download
ascii delimited text files with Reflection and automatically import them
into Paradox databases so that users get daily paperless Paradox or
QuattroPro reports.  We have been doing this for several years and rarely
have any need to touch the PC or scripts--once set up, this "batch server"
approach is pretty nearly hassle-free.

Regards,