HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

From:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 18:21:00 PDT
Susan wrote:

> I have about 20 extract files created nightly that need to be transferred
> from HP (using WRQ) to PC. Currently, I am doing  it by hand. Is there a
>way
> I can write a job to run it while the extract files created? Those extract
> files are within the same group.
> Thanks.
>
>Susan
I can think of two ways of automating the download of some PC files
to a PC. The method depends on the type of connection. If I had a
PC connected to a Lan running Reflection for Network Series I would
do the following.

PC connected via RNS

I would turn on the FTP server function found in Reflection Network
Series and download the files with the following sample job stream.

!comment
!comment Download a file
!comment
!file ftptemp;temp
!echo exitonerror                           >> ftptemp
!echo binary                                >> ftptemp
!echo user test password                    >> ftptemp
!echo cd /download                          >> ftptemp
!echo put file1 file1.dat                   >> ftptemp
!echo quit                                  >> ftptemp
!setvar ftplasterr 0
!run ftp.arpa.sys;info="pcname.domain.org";stdin=*ftptemp
!if ftplasterr <> 0 then
!   showvar ftp@
!   setjcw jcw fatal
!endif
!purge ftptemp,temp

You would have to configure a suitable username on the Reflection for
Network Series Server and keep it running overnight.

Please keep in mind that I have not tried this method to put files
onto a PC, but I do not see why it should not work. I use this method
to pick up files from a PC on a nightly basis.

PC connect Serially.

The details on how to do this is found under the :Reflect command
in your Qedit manual, but I thought you might like to see an example
on how to do this. I would use this method if the PC I wanted to download
files to was serial connected.

       !job pcdownld,user.acct
       !file qedcrt;dev=29
       !run qedit.pub.robelle
       file qedcrt;dev=58
       continue
       reflect receive file1.txt file1.data
       exit
       !eoj

Please remember that in order for this to work you must have Reflection
running in the background on the PC and the Reflection baud rate must
be the same as configured in MPE, and the PC must NOT be logged on at
the time.

Sincerely,
| Neil Armstrong               | Toll Free : 1-800-561-8311              |
| Programmer, R & D            | Phone     : (604) 582-1700              |
| Robelle Consulting Ltd.      | Fax       : (604) 582-1799              |
| WWW: http://www.robelle.com  | e-mail    : [log in to unmask]  |