HP3000-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

From:
Bob Jankalski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Jankalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 01:10:52 -0400
Yes, you should be able to :RESTORE from a tape made by :SYSDUMP. If
you watch the messages created by sysdump, you will even see that
sysdump will call store to dump the user accessable files to the tape
after the hidden (please don't jump on me for that reference) files and
active drivers are written. It would be very rare for anyone to use a tape
label on a sysdump tape - volume unlabelled is typical, hence restore
does not need a label. My guess is that the tape was written uncorrectly
for some reason. There are a couple of common utilities that are
probably already on your system and can often restore files from tapes
that :RESTORE does not approve of. The first to try is RECOVER5.PUB.SYS.
If this doesn't do the trick, look in the telesup account for a program
called GETFILE. If you find the documentation file (GETFILE.DOC.TELESUP)
you will find info on some optional entry points that can help further.
 I don't remember when the CREATE option showed up in MPEV, so my assumption
is that you already know that it is supported by your rev.

Hope this helps.

Bob Jankalski -- Ideal Computer Services