HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 4

From:
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rudderow, Evan
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 08:49:00 EDT
Von Scholes <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Has anyone had any experience writing programs updating an IMAGE db on
>HP3000 and an ORACLE db on IBM rs6000 simultaneously?  We are needing to
>know what software is needed?

We've got something similar: an application that writes to both:
     - TurboIMAGE databases on 2 HP3000s, and
     - Ingres on an HP9000.

The application, which is hosted by the HP9000, was originally written to
access only the Ingres database; the implementation of a new time reporting
application on the HP3000 made it highly desirable to integrate the two.
 The architecture I designed has the client (the HP-UX application) talking
to the server (the business logic running on the HP3000) via a Berkeley
sockets interface that we wrote in-house.

From the server side of this the most important thing to do is make sure the
server tells the client that it's aborting *before* it aborts -- otherwise
the client will be left hanging, not knowing what to do.

 -- Evan