HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 4

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:55:15 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (George
Stachnik) wrote:

> please feel free to email or post your thoughts about the show,
>and help us understand what *you'd* like
> to see *us* do to make the 3000 a better citizen

George, you might start by ensuring these broadcasts are available
regardless of demand. I wanted to attend the show here in Austin, but got
told more than a week before air date it had been cancelled here, due to
lack of sign ups.

No problem, I said. I'll go to San Antonio. While it's a 75-minute drive
from Austin, the quality of the shows in the past would be worth the
nearly 3 hours in travel time. One day before the telecast, I got called
and told that San Antonio's feed was also cancelled, due to light
enrollment.

My only option by then was to go to Dallas, a 3-hour drive each way. I passed.

My understanding is that some manager onsite at each city has some say in
whether the broadcast is available. It seems to me that given the quality
of what you're producing, and the potential impact for HP's business and
customer satisfaction, these shows should be available at any HP site that
has the facilities to receive and host  them.

If HP can't make a case to its branch offices for setting aside a room, a
TV and someone to direct the customers to the onsite facilities, that
might indicate a problem with allocating HP's branch-office resources for
its MPE/iX customers. It's probably difficult to find people in some of
those HP offices today who are focused on the HP 3000, given all the Unix
they're selling. But these broadcasts are a great information tool. If the
sites won't run them regardless of demand, why should the customers care
about the message? It's as if some HP product couldn't be ordered from a
few outside sales reps, simply because nobody had ordered the product from
those reps before.

We'll be doing our part here at the NewsWire, endeavoring to write a
preview article about each TCU or TV broadcast, printed in time to get the
word out to encourage attendance. I just hate to see so much of CSY's work
unavailable to the customers except by ordering tapes.

--
Ron Seybold
The 3000 News/Wire