HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 13:05:38 -0500
According to Guy Smith:

> I have received three different answers from HP, so I figured I turn here
> for clarification.
>
> We want to run a 918 SNA server.  The system needs less than 2GB of disc,
> but it's a mission critical box so we thought that disc mirroring might
> be a smart move.

I don't know anything about SNA, so FWTW:

> 1) One source says you can mirror the system volume set
You cannot mirror the system volume set for MPE.

(You can, apparently, with HPUX and LVM, so maybe this source is a Unix-type)

Just make the system volume small - don't keep anything on it except
HP FOS and Subsys stuff, unless you have to (3rd party software that
must be in .pub.sys, etc.)

Can't you still buy 1-GB drives?

> 2) Another says you can't
Listen to this source.

> 3) The third says you can providing they are not on the same SCSI controller

Mirroring must alway be done across separate controllers (MPE).

> Anyone have the real scoop?
What is reality?

The above comes from the Mirrored Disk/iX product manual.

Of course, if you what fault-tolerance, use two MPE systems w/Shareplex!
(Don't know if SNA works with Shareplex, but I don't see why it wouldn't.)

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]