HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 3

From:
Bob Jankalski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Jankalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 23:29:53 -0400
Everyone seems to have different definitions of micro, mini, mainframe,
personal, etc. While comparing notes with an IBM CE in a parking lot
one day, he told me that since the standards based on dollars or MIPS
become obsolete by the time that they are published that the big blue
people (internally) consider any liquid cooled cpu to be a "mainframe"
and any multi-user air cooled (like the 3000/9000) to be a mini. I
always liked calling the 3000 a "mini" especially when talking to
308X/309X types since they are usually impressed by what can be
accomplished by such a tiny (by their standards) and inexpensive system.

Bob Jankalski -- Ideal Computer Services