HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:09:30 PDT
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> But 4.0 BSD ain't POSIX and 5.0 POSIX ain't 5.5 POSIX.  As each new
> MPE OS is released the underlying rules seem to get re-written.

Funny you should mention that...

The MPE/iX 5.0 Communicator (C.50.00) scares me when it says (page 6-2)
> POSIX or POSIX-related application developers must recompile and
> link their applications on Release 5.0. And, developers who want to
> use Shared Globals must relink and/or recompile their applications.
> If the developers are not POSIX users or do not plan on using Shared
> Globals, their applications will continue to run on Release 5.0.

My client is upgrading from 4.0 to 5.0 one month from now. Since they're
on 4.0 instead of 4.5 or 5.0 Pull, we don't have to worry about the above.
But what is this really saying? I infer that there may be other (future)
changes to the OS that also necessitate recompiling *EVERY* POSIX
application.

Am I reading this wrong??

--Glenn Cole
  Software al dente, Inc.