HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 00:55:39 EDT
I just finished some midnight "disk shuffling" of the list archives stored
by Listserv due to a (hopefully) temporary storage shortage on the Listserv
disk volume.  We aren't "out" of space, but rather it's one of those IBM
VM/ESA things (pretty crude disk management, but then again, it's not my
machine to maintain :-) ).

Over the course of HP3000-L's existance (and comp.sys.hp.mpe addition) we
have accumulated quite an archive (only ~50 Mb, but more than anticipated).
In order to support the Listserv "database search" functions on the archive,
the files are stored in uncompressed plaintext, making matters worse.

In HP3000 terminology, we have filled up the LISTSERV volume set.  To fix
this, the hp3000-l archives have been moved to an independent (pseudo)volume
set.  But I had to do some trimming to make it fit.

The archives now run back TWO years (currently starting Sept 93) and they are
still searchable by the traditional means.  Previous archives, back to 1990,
are available in ZIP format from http://opus.admin.utc.edu or ftp to the same.
If space becomes available, I'll try to reload to the previously recommended
three-year archive level; but for now, it's just two years.

On another subject, while I'm wasting administrivial bandwidth, I'm going to
be "scarce" this month due to some long-awaited recreation time prior to my
winter hibernation.  I will be out of town, off the net, and otherwise gone
Sept 7-10 to the North Carolina coast, and out-of-country Sept 16-25 in
Cozumel.  Those of you that understand the "[\]" in my signature know what
that's all about :-)  For any problems with the list, please address your
messages to <[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]>, in that order,
who are my backups for Listserv and Mail support.

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>