HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 1995 18:21:23 -0400
On Sat, 2 Sep 1995, Richard Gambrell wrote:

> Networking with the built-in clients is *much* faster than Novell's VLMs.

  Maybe, however in the August 1995 edition of PC World, the article
about Win95 states that the built-in clients are not necessarily error
prone, and may even cause a system failure.  A lot of drivers in Win95
were written to use Ring 0 of the processor (if I interpreted the article
correctly) which is often dangerous to do.

> Printing (that is, how soon you get back the application when it sends
> a processes a print file) is *much* faster.

  Of course it would be.  It's preemptive multitasking at work!  Now,
just get multithreading right...

> We will be installing Win95 on PCs in our new multi-media computer lab
> as soon as we can. We expect reductions in technical support time&effort
> and even more savings in initial configuration and setup of the PC. Most
> new PCs we purchase will be required to have win95. As we network more
> groups on campus, we expect to move them from Dos/Win3.1 to Win95 at
> the same time.

  Moving 100% to Win95 may not be a good idea just yet.  There are 2
patch releases coming out soon, and there is a rumoured Win96 coming out
in Dec./Jan. that will patch up the rest of the Win95 bugs.

Daniel Kosack -= LinuxMan =-

               A clock cycle is a terrible thing to waste.  -- me.