HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 22:44:49 EDT
On Mon, 28 Aug 1995 17:43:14 MST F. Alfredo Rego said:
>I would like to conduct a public "auction" to see who has the longest
>e-mail address (please do the counting yourself, to ease the pain
>of the auctioneer...)     [...snip...]

Greetings Alfredo.  If you're planning an "e-mail address" field in a
database, you would be well-advised to plan for "Dynamic Data-Item
Expansion" as they grow with incredible vigor.  If X.400 actually comes
into widespread acceptance, the addresses will only get longer.

As an Internet postmaster dealing with a significant traffic load, I
have seen some "interesting" addresses, the longest in my recollection
being just over 80 bytes in length.  If we factor in old UUCP-style
addresses, then you could exceed that mark easily.

But to deal with the present, and with the familiar (HP3000-L), the
current holder of the longest e-mail address is [drum roll please] ...

(At least a quick glance of the list reveals this answer, apologies if I
missed yet a further verbose recipient of the list).

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>