HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 5

Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 19:04:29 CDT
Jim Wowchuk wrote:
|Since being fortunate enough to have a 17" screen on my PC, running at
|1024x768 resolution, I am thankful to the folks at WRQ and Robelle whose
|software let's me take benefit of this to be more efficient.

Aren't large screens (and lots of pixels to occupy them) marvelous tools!
[In my case, 1600x1200 at 17" is about as tight as I can stand.  :]

|So I would like to encourage other vendors not to make 24 lines a fixed
|feature of their software.  Use a JCW, an environment variable, a profile,
|anything.  I certainly would like it if MPE :PRINT and :HELP could recognize
|my larger page size.  Conversely, many vendors assume that screens have no
|(or should that be unlimited) pagelength, and don't pause output at all.
|Okay, I can scroll backwards later, but I would prefer if Query for example,
|when doing a REPORT to screen paused at the end of each (user-defined
|length) page.

HP's symbolic debugger, xdb, and the POSIX utilities (e.g., sh, more, etc.)
support variables LINES and COLUMNS which provide the same basic info.

I know have LINES and COLUMNS set automatically on logon from my xterm (where
the window sizes can be anything I ask) by using a modified version of a script
posted here last week.  It's amazing when tools work together.
--
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]> [PGP key available]
Women and cats will do as they please. And men and dogs should relax