HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 5

From:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:24:27 -0800
>>> Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]> 08/28/95 12:32pm >>>
>
>What special advantages or advances does Windows 95 bring to your HP 3000
>environment? What9s the best reason an HP3000 shop should consider
>installing Windows 95?
>
>Are there other readers out there who have installed Win95 already? Why did
>you adopt so early?

I've used Windows in virtually every iteration that has appeared over the
years.  I've now been using Windows 95 in beta form for the last 4 months.
Never in my experience with Windows have I experienced such stability.
Prior to Win 95 I would experience 2 to 3 GPFs per week, and generally at
least 1 or 2 general system lockups.  I turned my PC off each night and
re-booted it each morning to give it a "fresh" start (allow it to reclaim
lost memory resources, etc).  With Win 95 I can't remember the last time I
turned the PC off.  I leave it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (with PC
Anywhere running so I can attach to it from home).  Reliability is light
years beyond Windows 3.x (or Windows for Workgroups 3.x).  Networking is
also vastly improved.  Not only is the 32-bit protected mode driver speedier
and more robust, Windows 95 does not get upset, as Windows 3.x does, if you
lose your network connections.  It just keeps humming along and reconnects
when the network returns.  This is a very desirable thing if you are
considering moving your users to client/server applications!

There's more, but since this is an HP3000 list, not a Windows 95 list, I'll
end it here.  If you have particular questions you can email me at
"[log in to unmask]" and I'd be happy to discuss it with you in further
detail.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:  These comments express my personal experience with
Windows 95.  Your mileage may vary ;)

Gary Dietz
Whitman College