HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 5

From:
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rudderow, Evan
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 17:01:00 EDT
"<Elbert E Silbaugh>" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This relates to ALLBASE/SQL, IMAGE/SQL, MS Access

<snip>

>If YES to any question, please explain your position.

I don't know, and BTW I'm sitting down.

Elbert raises an interesting set of issues; I've just come across some more
issues which belong to the same set, to wit:

We've purchased a couple of copies of Cognos' Axiant C/S development tool.
 Axiant ships with Watcom SQL 3.2 so I ran out and picked up QUE's Using
Watcom SQL since I know the development staff will be coming to me with
questions.  I get to the chapter of SQL functions and notice that Watcom 4.0
seems to have a much richer set of included functions than, say, Allbase F0.
 While I know that ODBC is supposed to shield us from these kinds of
differences, I wonder how realistic that hope is...

God forbid that any of the developers resort to embedded SQL in their
applications...

BTW, aren't SQL based databases usually touted as adhering to some kind of
standard?

 -- Evan