HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 5

From:
Frank McConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank McConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 06:42:07 GMT
Someone (Robert Joseph?) wrote:
> ftp> site chmod 666 afile

Paul H. Christidis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Keep in mind that the above will *not* work across all unix platforms.  I have
>access to a sun machine and the 'site' command is not even implemented.  Is

You may have to use "quote site chmod 666 afile" or "quote site umask
111" for clients that don't have a "site" command; most Un*x and some
other FTP clients have a "quote" command to allow you to pass
arbitrary server commands to the server.  Even this isn't guaranteed
to work; the "site" subcommands are unspecified by the standard and
are certainly not universally implemented, even among Un*x-based FTP
servers.

-Frank McConnell