HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 4

From:
Rick Ehrhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Ehrhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 18:53:44 GMT
Guy Smith ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Mike Paivinen wrote:
: > Jim Wowchuk ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: > : At 10:31 AM 17/8/95 -0700, Mark Bixby wrote:
: > : >The list may be even longer than what's in IODEVACC.  Go into SYSDIAG
and
: > : >look what you find (I've deleted the HP devices):
: > : [long list deleted...]
: >
: > : Hmmmmm...isn't that interesting?!  So what does this really mean?  A
soupcon
: > : of things to come?  Or merely that SCSIDSK2 has parentage from the UX
side?
: >
: > : I hope somebody from HP can offer an explanation.
: >
: > WARNING:  The following is an educated guess.  The group that works on
: > diagnostics does so for both HP-UX and MPE.  So, I wouldn't infer any more
: > from Mark's finding than Jim's conclusion that the SCSIDSK2 diagnostic
: > is either derived from or idential to the HP-UX diagnostic.

: Good point.  I cross-checked IODFAULT.PUB.SYS (used I think by SYSGEN
: for configuring supported devices) and found references for at least the
: DEC and Seagate drives.  If HP took the trouble to add these entries,
: then I suspect using them is a safe bet.

CSY could be OEMing disks from DEC or Seagate.  But you have to be careful,
because those drives could have different firmware than the ones you could
buy off the street.

: On this note, can anyone provide direct reports of using these drives and
: any KPRs on installation or reliability?

: Guy Smith                                Voice:  804-527-4000 ext 6664
: Circuit City Stores, Inc.                  FAX:  804-527-4008
: 9950 Mayland Drive                      E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
: Richmond, VA 23233-1464         Private E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

: The thoughts expressed herein are mine and do not reflect those of my
: employer, or anyone with common sense.